Monday, August 30, 2010

Welcome Back!



Dear Students and Families,

Welcome back! I am thrilled to get back to school and enjoy some great learning with my students. I have been planning many themes and projects with my teaching partners and am so excited to begin a journey studying the Resources and Natural History of the Columbia River Gorge--can't wait to see what my students help me discover!

Once again, this summer was full of excitement for my family. My husband, 13-month son and I welcomed the newest member of our family, Baby Boy Jordan on July 6th. We have loved every minute since the day of his birth! I am looking forward to sharing more about that with my students and hearing all about their summer adventures, as well!I will enjoy getting to know my students the first week of school and then I will take my remaining maternity leave for the first trimester. 

There are many items placed on the school supply list. Some are shared supplies, so do the best you can to get them, but don't fret if you are unable to find something. One item that is needed immediately is 18-hole egg cartons.
The intermediate grades will become geologists who uncover the mysterious events that took place long, long ago. As a part of their study, rocks samples will be placed in the individual slots of 18-hole egg cartons for further examination and identification. This investigation will reveal a piece of the puzzle that tells the story of the creation of the Gorge. Please bring your 18-hole egg cartons as soon as possible.

Please check our classroom blog (http://www.mrschiusclass.blogspot.com) regularly for classroom updates and pictures of the exciting things we'll experience this year. In fact, there's a version of this letter on our classroom blog. Also, shoot me an email as soon as possible. I like to collect email addresses early on so that we can be in email contact as quickly as possible. Email is the best way to reach me on a daily basis.

I look forward to a fabulous year!