Our trip to Dabney Park (on the coldest day of the year!) was a success! We started our ceremonial trip by selecting a few students to read memorial poems, then got our little fry acclimated to the river water, and then released them into the Sandy River. We even had a nice visit from an Oregon State Park Ranger. After returning from our trip, the rest of the students read their poems while we drank hot chocolate to warm up. We're sad to see our little friends go, but are hopeful that they will continue to adulthood. Be sure to ask your kiddo for more details about this nearly frozen adventure!
A few memorial poems:
Goodbye Fry (By Ebba)
Goodbye, fry...
With your shimmer and shine.
Goodbye, fry...
with your glimmer and gleam
Goodbye, fry...
I will miss you so much.
Time has Come (by Zack)
Goodbye Alevin.
Time to go
to let you out
to let you know
IT.
IS.
Time.
To set you free
to hope you'll be
back here in a year or three
The time we knew,
was gonna come
You'll swim out
to the sun
you will scream,
"oh, what fun!"
Goodbye, Alevin
Time
Has
Come.
Oh, Fish! (by Charlie)
Oh, fish, fish...
I wish, wish...
you would stay with us,
we wouldn't leak puss,
or make you din,
or chop off your fin.
(which would hurt quite a lot, in deed).
O, fish, fish...
I wish, wish...
you would stay with us.
Alevin (by Mally)
The little tiny yolk sack
is hanging from my chest
all shinning in the water
as I pass the next.
I turn into a fry and then a smolt
and then a big, big adult.
I swim through the ocean for years.
Now I am a spawner,
and lay eggs
then I die.
